Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Donny

I've been thinking about my friend Donny quite a bit recently. He died unexpectedly last May. I worked with Donny for two years before he passed and got to know him pretty well. He had a wife and young child, he was 39. Donny didn't take care of his body; I think maybe he was was angry with his body because he had been confined to a wheel chair since he was a freshman in college. I heard he overdosed on pain medication but I don't really know what happened. I don't know why I've been thinking about him so much these last few days but I have, and it forces me to recognize that our lives here are finite. More so that I am really comfortable with. Donny was angry at God and I don't know what his relationship was really like.

Donny was an inspiration to paraplegics he often spoke publicly for charities and worked with people who were new to their chairs. He was a star player on a national champion roller basketball team. I remember him climbing the equipment shelves in the warehouse to get things from the top, jumping curbs, and carrying more boxes than the rest of us.

I hope he is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment