Friday, June 19, 2009

The Lement of the Squash

They laughed at me. Said it couldn't be done. As we speak I have two respectable sized squash growing on my plant which spent its entire life indoors with nothing other than soil, water and the light from the window. There are also several tiny squash starting to develop.

Now the bad part. This is actually two plants. i grew them from seed, two seeds planted together formed two nice plants. One was weighed down by its fruit and broke nearly in two at the base. That was yesterday morning, I splinted it and today it looked like it grafted together and would survive. Also today I discovered it is entirely infested with worms and gnats. I don't understand, the thing has never been outside, how could it possibly have worms? Nevertheless, it was not just a few but a full on infestation, which means it must be taken outside. I can not have that in my apartment which already has a bug problem. While carrying it outside the splinted plant broke in half. I am sad about my squash, the two vegetables may never ripen. I got so close and all this happened, I really think that if the problems had not all come at once they could have been handled.

I know it sounds hippy but there is a satisfaction from growing food from seed. It takes time and effort and i want my vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment